- Develop readiness for scientific data analysis and visualization at extreme scale.
- Address challenges of emerging architectures.
- In addition to designing our own algorithms, build a toolkit that enables others to build algorithms.
- The Dax Toolkit: a visualization toolkit containing a framework that reduces the challenges of writing highly concurrent algorithms.
- Current investment is 3 year project.
- Supports simple porting across CPU and GPU architectures.
- Algorithms written at higher abstraction have performance comparable to alternates written by experts with APIs providing full access to parallel features.
- Dax applied to analysis of N-body cosmology simulation to identify void, pancake, filament, and clump features.
- Requires expensive operation of finding cells in irregular, self-intersecting mesh.
- Dax demonstrates finding cells while yielding speedups of up to 22× with multiple cores and 65× using a GPU.